CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, August 10, 2007

On The Other Side Of The Fence

How many frantic, frustrated family members have I said, "I'm sorry - we are not going to be able to hold (insert name)because he/she does not impose a threat to others or to themselves." The family members go on to say something like, "Well, what are we going to do? (insert name) needs help! We need help!" My answer,"Doctor (insert name) has prescribed (insert med) and here is the number to set up an outpatient appointment. Please feel free to come back in if you feel that things are getting worse and (insert name) is threatening themselves or someone else.

That conversation has been repeated so many times by myself and others in my profession. And now I find myself as one of those frantic and frustrated family members. What is the next step? Doing nothing does not seem right. Do we fly up and bang on her door until she answers or the cops come and tell us to move along? How will she be able to make the appropriate decisions enough to save herself and her family?

0 comments: