CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, August 6, 2007

Did Ya Notice?

For those of you who scour over my blog religiously, you probably noticed a couple of new Tickers (I really think I might have a Ticker addiction). The 1st one, you may have noticed is a ticker related to how much money I have invested/saved towards the VN adoption. The final amount needed is actually a little higher than I am expecting to spend, but it does include travel. AND NOW FOR THE PLUG: Anyone who would like to help me bring home sweet little baby Jane - There is a spot to apply for credit cards, order magazines, or make a paypal donation - Just thought I would point it out.

The 2nd Ticker is, you guessed it, weight loss. I stepped on the scale this weekend and thought I was having a heart attack. I have decided that I can not go on any longer with my current lifestyle. Actually, my main goal is not really weight loss but just to be healthy. I am tired of walking up a couple flights of stairs and being winded, feeling like my world is too stressed, and I am tired of being tired. So, I have embarked on a healthier lifestyle with the weight loss being one of the positive outcomes. I know I know - those who know and love me will say, "another diet?" My answer, No - not another diet. I am choosing to change my bad habits to more positive ones.

I know everyone is saying, "but Timmie, how are you possibly going to change those bad habits?" Well, there are a few things I have vowed to do and I have enlisted my friend Gianni to also change her negative habits. Here is how I am starting:

1. Consume more protein and less starch "bad carbs"

2. Eat more veggies

3. Try not to take work so seriously (leaving the office at the office)

4. Get back into Yoga (I love yoga and the show "Breathe" on the oxygen channel is awesome)

5. Walk my dogs (really good workout walking 2 Great Danes)

6. Drink more water

I have also re-organized my entire kitchen. I cleaned out all of the cupboards and got rid of any "bad" food. Bought new dishes, silverware, and pots and pans (red).

I think the other thing that is helping me set some definite goals related to my lifestyle change is my frame of mind regarding my work. I am actually relieved that I did not get the promotion I had applied for. Sure the extra money would have been nice, but it is not the right path for me. It really gave me some time to be really honest with myself regarding what it is that makes me happy as it relates to my career. Moving up the management ladder would lead to more money and the titles are enticing, but moving up that ladder almost feels like a betrayal to my profession. I am a very honest (sometimes brutally), straight forward, and compassionate kind of person - but what I have seen in Nursing Management is far from truthful and straight forward, or compassionate. That is just not me. Applying to midwifery school solidified it for me - that is where I need to be! It feels right.

One more thing before I sign out for the night - Thank You to all of you who have left comments. I really enjoy reading them.

2 comments:

Midlife Midwife said...

Good for you! I like that you are focusing on being more healthy and not just losing weight. If losing the promotion means that you are going to midwifery school...I think it was a wonderful blessing. I LOVE being a midwife. It is so much better than being in management if you ask me. (but I am a teensy bit biased). You can do it! I know you will. I'll be here to cheer you on every step of the way OK?

S. said...

Oooh congrats on midwifery school! That is fantastic! When I grow up I want to be an OB nurse...I can't wait to read about your process!
p.s. have you read the book the babycatcher? It is a great read!