CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, October 25, 2007

A Trip Through The Wild Fires To Get Back Home

Can you believe the wild fires in So.Cali? I pretty much grew up in So. Cali and have seen plenty of California fires, but nothing like this. I am sending as much positive energy I can muster to all of the people displaced from their homes. The smoke and flames did not stop our trek to the "Happiest Place On Earth". That is right - Bash had his 1st (of many, I am sure) trip to Disneyland. I haven't been there in probably about 10 years - it was fun. The air was hateful though - smoke everywhere and ash in the air. Even the risk of Black Lung could not keep us from the Wonderful World of Disney! Bash had an awesome time! He was not afraid of anything. We rode every ride he was tall enough for - more than once. I have 5 rolls of film being developed as we speak - so I will post all kinds of really cute pics soon. He was so excited - it was really great to be able to share it with him.

The 1st part of our trip was spent in the Bay Area. We drove up in our new truck (oh yeah - did I tell you I bought a new truck? 2004 Navigator. It is sweet!!!) We drove up to get Gianni and visit her daughter Sophia. It was fun! Bash is such a good traveler. On our way from S.F. to Disneyland we drove right through Santa Clarita - it was kind of scary with all the smoke and the flames on the hillside. We were suppose to end our trip with a quick visit to my Mom in Palm Springs, but with the fires and Willow possibly sick - we just high tailed it home.

On the adoption front: No news on my niece. I have not heard from anyone from family services regarding her status. My sister seems to cycle in and out of being able to function. My wish is that she gets well soon and she and my niece will be able to be together again. I wish I would get some news one way or another. Bash's adoption stuff should be done sometime in early December - If all goes well. I am not sure if I should keep my foster care license active. A little info would be great! So, I am continuing with my plans to adopt a sibling for Bash. I have just kind of put everything on hold. But I can not keep my life on hold forever with no news. I have also decided that I may change my country from Vietnam to Haiti. The need in Haiti is so great. It is the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere. There are hundreds of thousands of orphans. I have been doing research into Haiti and it is rich in history and culture. It is also completely devastated. There is no food or uncontaminated water. Children are dying by the thousands. There is actually a recipe for Dirt Cakes - because of the lack of flour or grain parents are mixing the little bit of oil and salt they may have with dirt in order to feed their children. I just have a hard time believing that this is occurring 600 miles from our Florida coast. So, I am back at square one with researching adoption agencies. Los Ninos does not have a Haitian program (this is too bad because I have really liked all of my dealings with them so far).

I have found a few places that have short 1 week volunteer opportunities. They are in desperate need for medical help. I may try and get myself, Gianni, and Kara to go and help out. A week will be easy to schedule. Most volunteer sponsors want you to commit to months or even a year. There is no way I can swing that with kids, dogs, and bills. I have started reading about Haitian history - it is amazing. It is tied in so tightly to our own US history.

2 comments:

Carissa said...

My doctor volunteers in Haiti for two weeks a year! I think it is great!

Rebecca said...

I was even thinking about switching countries if things fall through with our foster girls. I am thinking about going to Ethopia though! I am glad you had a great trip!!! Disney is a favorite over here!